Sean Hughes at Civic Theatre

My sister Helena and I had a very enjoyable evening last Thursday at the Civic Theatre, Chelmsford. The comedian Sean Hughes was appearing as a part of his 'What I Meant To Say Was' tour. We have both been Sean Hughes fans for quite some time. We loved his C4 TV show 'Seans Show' which aired back in 1992 and have seen him perform live before. I do recall my sister having a Sean Hughes T-shirt back in the early 90's and I am pretty certain we were both members of his fan club then too! I also loved his more recent stint on the BBC show 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks'.

I'm pleased to say, Sean hasn't lost his darkly brilliant, self-deprecating barbed wit over the years. The audience at the Civic did come in for some friendly abuse and there were a few controversial topics aired by Sean. I'm quite relieved I didn't book two seats in the front row by the stage. We were at a safe distance in the front row balcony instead. At some points in the evening it was really hard to stop laughing!! A most enjoyable time.

Comments